Kevin Nottingham, of the aptly titled KevinNottingham.com and recent recipient of an award from Hip-Hop search engine SOHH.com, has announced the formation of a new digital record label, HiPNOTT Records. They will be distributing music exclusively through the Diamond Music Group (parent company to Coalmine Records who recently released The Foundationby Shuko & DJ Dutchmaster). This announcement, the first for a hip hop blogger, could be the an insight into how more and more of the “indie” groups distribute music over the web.
HipNOTT Records’ goal is just like their fore-bearers where: to continuously build their artists’ resumes and consistently develop an image that hip hop will have no choice but to admire. With someone as passionate about the genre and game such as Kevin Nottingham, we here at impossible city are hard-pressed not to be encouraged that his dream will soon be a reality; if not the norm.
“HiPNOTT Records is an artist’s label. I’m not in it for the money, but to try and get good music to be heard,” says Kevin Nottingham, blogger turned owner of HiPNOTT Records. “All of my artists are artists that I personally believe in and I will do whatever I can to promote and market their music.”
While some have already hinted at the launch of this new label, this is indeed the official announcement of HiPNOTT Records. “The timing was just right,” said Nottingham, “I have been working hard on building a roster and solidifying contracts to make sure we go about doing things right. I didn’t want anything done half-assed. I’ve put off officially announcing the label, because I just wasn’t ready yet. A few of my artists have projects that we are about to release, so now’s the time.”
The official HiPNOTT Records website is still under construction, but the label’s current artist roster can be found below:
- Cee & Bekah [artist info] / The Soul Movement Volume 3 (Mixed by Mick Boogie & Terry Urban) coming 4th quarter ‘09 / The Precedent coming 1st quarter 2010
- Dasha [artist info] / debut album coming 4th quarter ‘09
- G.C. [artist info] / compilation album coming 4th quarter ‘09
- Has-Lo [artist info] / In Case I Don’t Make It coming 4th quarter ‘09
- Nobody Famous [artist info] / Order Up Vol 3: Chicken & Waffles coming in July
- NoTiOn [artist info] / Corner of Notion & 9th coming 4th quarter ‘09
- Speek Greene [artist info] / The Long Look coming 4th quarter ‘09
- Tommy Gunnz [artist info ] / Garden State Warrior coming 4th quarter ‘09
- Trav Williams [artist info] / illTravis out now! New project coming 4th quarter ‘09
Although it seems like a lot to have on one’s “new” label, Nottinham stresses the idea was for a small production. “I hadn’t really expected the roster to be as big as it is now starting out,” he says. “I want to be able to be personally involved with each and every project we put out. So, until I can clone myself, these artists will be the face of HiPNOTT Records.”
Well let us see if Hip-Hop is the only place such an idea springs. With blogs already recording live sets and curating festivals it is only a matter of time before labels emerge….the impossible city sound??